Sunday 9 September 2012

Walking in Windsor Great Park

I'm not a great walker but do like to go on walks with friends, five miles is about my limit.
One of my favourite places to walk is Windsor Great Park.  It's so beautiful and is forever changing, with it's wildlife, lakes, waterfall, visitors plus the castle, ruins and oh a variety of of other interesting things.  These plus the fact that you could bump into one of the royal family, not that I have as yet but some of my friends have, are the things that keep me coming back for more.  What I'm thinking of doing is telling you little about the park when I go there on some of my walks. 
This week my friends and I decided to go away from any of our usual walks and walk from The Wheatsheaf Hotel following along the main lake east until the bridge going over to the Totem Pole, oh yes there's a Totem Pole.  This was presented to the Queen by the Province of British Columbia to commemorate the Centenary of British Columbia (1858 - 1958).  It's 100' tall and is carved from a single red cedar be one of the greatest totem craftsmen Mungo Martin, Chief of the Kwakiuti from Vancouver Island.  Totem poles tell family histories and the features favourite Kwakiuit personalities, one being 'the man in the large hat'. We kept on and made a loop not far from the Valley Gardens Car Park then skirted the famous Polo grounds on Smith's Lawn.  This is where Vickers the aircraft company had it's airfield during the war, it was cunningly disguised as a farm.  The we come back to walk along the main lake to the Totem Pole over the bridge back to The Wheatsheaf where we sat out in the Autumn sunshine with a lovely large coffee each.  What better way to spend an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment